The Inspection Division’s core mandate is to:
- inspect primary and secondary schools across Jamaica;
- report on the findings of the inspections and make recommendations to schools and other stakeholders;
- publish inspection reports; and
- provide the Chief Inspector with information to inform policy advice.
The Division has three Units:
- Quality Assurance Unit:
This Unit is responsible for the quality assurance of inspection reports to ensure that they meet the requisite standards of the organisation.
- Professional Development Unit:
This Unit is responsible for ensuring that a well-trained cadre of inspectors are available for deployment, as well as the performance management of all inspectors. Also, through various collaborations with schools, the Department of School Services (DSS) and other entities, the Unit supports various capacity-building initiatives.
- Special Education and Monitoring Unit:
This Unit is responsible for managing the inspection of Special Education schools, as well as directing and coordinating an on-going programme of monitoring to ensure that schools implement post-inspection improvement plans.